The Run

3… 2… 1… GO! Everybody starts running at once. I am pumped up. I start sprinting. “Slow down,” I tell myself. I don’t want to run out of energy before the first mile. I am running the 5K in Austin with my dad. I know I am not the fastest runner, but I want to see what my time  is. This is my first 5K run and I want to see what it feels like.

Run, run, run. That is all I am doing. There is a bend coming up! I think it is the half-way mark! Its… just the 1.5 mile marker. I slow down from whatever speed I had built up in the anticipation. I continue running. My legs start to feel as if acid is pouring down them (which, considering that lactic acid is being secreted, is an appropriate description). Yes! I finally reached the halfway point. I start slowly increasing my speed, panting at the effort. Sweat is pouring down my face. 2 miles! Yes! Only about one more mile to go. I start putting distance between me and my dad. More sweat pours down my back, and I feel as if I am going to faint. I start coming around the final bend and put on a final burst of speed. I can see the finish line! Finally! I put on a little more speed. Spots start dancing in front of my eyes. My legs feel as if they will fall off. I look like I have taken a shower in sweat. I cross the finish line! I look at the time that they recorded from the microchip on my tag. It is 26:40. “Not bad,” I think. I was expecting to take at least 30 minutes. I shakily sit on the grass and wait for my dad to finish.

2 comments

1. “Spots start dancing in front of my eyes. My legs feel as if they will fall off. I look like I have taken a shower in sweat.”

Wonderful description here. This whole narration kept me engaged and wanting to know what happens. Excellent work!