My Favorite Apps

In the modern world, apps (applications) are very important. Apps are self-contained software that can complete certain tasks. Safari on iPad allows you to search the internet. Flappy Bird on iPhone allows you to play an addicting flapping game. The AP Mobile app allows you to stay in touch with the latest AP news. All these apps can modify your phone or tablet to make it what you want. I have apps on my iPad to help me complete tasks. These are my favorite apps (not necessarily the most useful ones):

1. Super Stickman Golf 2 (SSG2)- This is a really popular game at my school. Now, I usually don’t like participating in sports (other than soccer and skiing), but this is different because it’s virtual. Even then, I don’t like virtual golf, but this is such a stretch from the real game of golf, I love to play it. You have to accurately hit the ball with a certain amount of power and shoot it at a specific angle to get it the hole in the least number of hits.

ssg2

As shown in the picture above, there is a lot more than sand traps, out of bounds, and and water hazards. There are lasers, acid, and blades to penalize your score too. Your character can look different based on the level you are. There are seven power-ups to your ball that can be unlocked. Each power-up gives your ball a special ability. In addition to all this, your characters can wear hats that give special perks on each course. If you look carefully at my character, you will see that I am wearing goggles. The goggles protect me from acid, and I cannot get penalized  for touching it. There are so many more aspects to this game, like multiplayer, that I probably would take up an entire screen explaining it. I love this game, and it is my favorite app.

2. Flappy Golf- This game was released a few days ago, and this is a really fun variant on Super Stickman Golf 2. Most of the courses are the same, but instead of shooting the ball with a golf club, you have to flap it into the hole in the least number of of flaps. There are no power-ups, hats, or different characters, but it’s really addicting. This game is like a combination of Flappy Bird and Super Stickman Golf 2 .

3. Google Search- This app allows me to search google with the tap of a finger. I open the app and tap the microphone button. I speak in to the device and I can get search results instantly (provided I have Wi-Fi)! Searching the internet just got so much easier. If I don’t know the definition of a word, I can type the word preceded by “define.” I can even entertain myself by searching “atari breakout” and tapping on “Images.” I then get to play Google’s version of Atari Breakout: Image Breakout. I have to destroy the images with a small ball. With Google search, I have the entire internet waiting for the tap of my fingers.

4. Calendar- This app allows me to see all my homework in case I forget. I just have to sync it to my Google Calendar and all my assignments appear on this app. It is very handy. I don’t even need to write down my assignments in class because I know that I can open this app and find them. This app is very useful, but it is not very fun unless you find checking your assignments fun.

5. Gmail- This app is a really useful app. You can check your mail on the go. When I am visiting relatives and I have a question for my teacher, I can just email him or her through this app. The moment I get internet connectivity, Bam! The message will be sent.

In conclusion, apps are important in the modern world, and life just wouldn’t be the same without them. Apps allow you to complete many tasks. From playing games to ending emails, apps can be very fun and convenient. Apps are awesome!

Image source: screenshot from my iPad

5 comments

1. I need to make better use of my calendar app. I still try to remember my appointments and meetings instead of write them down, or if I do write them down, I write them in my paper date book which I then either leave at home or forget to look at!

2. Hi Soham
    Well done on such an informative post. I use Google mail and calendar a lot, but I’ve never heard of Flappy Golf. It sounds like something I might enjoy.
    My favourite app at the moment is Evernote which I have on every device.
    Have you checked out the latest posts on the student blogging challenge? I think you would like the one on digital footprints.

1. Flappy Golf is like Super Stickman Golf 2, but Flappy Golf requires flapping the ball into every hole. You can not hit the ball like you would do in regular golf. It is a mix between Flappy Bird and Super Stickman Golf 2 hence the name Flappy Golf.

Here is a picture:

image

Image source: screenshot from my iPad

3. I’ve gotta say, in the time that I’ve gotten SSG 2, I have played it a surprising amount. I usually don’t spend that much time on my iPad, but this game has seemed to pull me toward it (in a similar fashion to the magnet ball). I liked the description of the apps, as they were detailed enough to be specific, but not so much as to bore the reader.

1. Yes, I really don’t like blog posts that go into so much detail detail, I fall asleep reading them. And for those of you who don’t know what the magnet ball is, it is a power-up for your golf ball in the game Super Stickman Golf 2 that pulls your ball towards the hole.